Does Kybella® Cause Swelling?
Double chin reduction with Kybella® is generally a simple, straightforward procedure that doesn’t require much downtime. Swelling is the most common side effect, because of the inflammation that develops as the injections get to work breaking down fat cells, but the treatment may also cause bruising.
The swelling typically peaks at around 24 hours after the treatment, with some minor swelling lasting for up to two weeks. Some people also say that they feel a “jelly-like” feeling or firmness for several weeks under the chin area. For these reasons, it’s best not to schedule the treatment right before a special occasion, because it can take some time for the side effects to resolve.
Fall can be an ideal time to get Kybella®, because you can cover up with a scarf or turtleneck to disguise the side effects.
The great thing about Kybella® is that once it damages the fat cells, leading to their breakdown, they can’t return. Once the swelling resolves, you’ll notice visible results as the area beneath the chin starts to shrink, but the initial swollen and baggy appearance can still be frustrating to deal with.
Here’s what you should know about how to control swelling after a double chin reduction treatment.
• Avoid salt and alcohol for a few days before and after a treatment session
• Apply ice or cold packs intermittently after your treatment every few hours during the day
• Alternate ice packs with warm compresses
• Stay hydrated
• Take an over-the-counter antihistamine and a painkiller to help with the discomfort
• Avoid touching or massaging the injected area for the first 48 hours, then gently massage the area three times a day for five minutes to help break up the fat
• Sleep with your head elevated during the first week
If you have more questions, our Newton, MA-based Dr. Happe Medical Aesthetics team can explain everything there is to know about deoxycholic acid injections to dissolve fat. Call us at (617) 597-2600 or fill out a contact form if you would like to schedule a consultation with us.
Dr. Happe Medical Aesthetics