Who Are the Best Candidates for Sculptra®?
Who is a candidate for Sculptra®? Our Newton, MA-based Dr. Happe Medical Aesthetics team knows this is something patients who are considering facial fillers will want to know more about when they’re deciding which option is best suited to them.
Sculptra® is an FDA-approved injectable that contains a biocompatible substance called poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) that stimulates the production of collagen, a protein that provides strength and structure to support the skin and other tissues. This injectable is called a biostimulator or collagen stimulator. It works to gradually replace lost collagen to address the underlying cause of facial aging. In this way, Sculptra® helps to restore the underlying structure of the face as a way of reducing facial wrinkles.
As collagen is rebuilt, the volume and fullness of the skin are improved and the skin’s structure is enhanced from the inside out.
Unlike hyaluronic acid facial fillers, the results are not noticeable right away. Instead, it can take weeks or months before they fully appear. This may seem like a long time, but the wait is worth it for many, since Sculptra® typically lasts for two to three years, which is a much longer duration than hyaluronic acid fillers.
The best filler for you depends on the area you want to treat and the degree of volume loss you have. Patients who may be ideal candidates for Sculptra® include those who:
• Are over the age of 18
• Have a healthy immune system
• Are not pregnant or breastfeeding
• Do not have an active skin condition such as an infection or rash at the planned injection site
• Do not have a history of keloid formation, hypertrophic scarring, or any other condition that makes them prone to severe scarring
• Are not allergic to any ingredient in Sculptra®
• Are not prone to having severe allergies
• Want a natural, youthful appearance
• Are younger patients in their 30s or 40s who are noticing the first signs of volume loss
• Are older patients who want to address more extreme or extensive volume loss
• Want a longer-lasting option for replacing volume
• Are concerned about loss of collagen due to aging
• Are seeking an anti-aging treatment for deeper areas like nasolabial folds
Dr. Happe Medical Aesthetics